Weekly Club Racing
- Informal club racing is held every Sunday morning (10:00am-2pm) and sometimes on Wednesday evenings (look for emails) (6:30-sunset) throughout the season, unless a regatta is scheduled (see calendar)
- People with all skill levels are welcome. No RSVP needed, just show up and ask who needs crew.
- Join the racing email list to find out what’s going on with racing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For individual questions feel free to contact Ovidiu Adam (Racing Chair) at email@example.com.
- Beginner and advanced racing clinics offered throughout the season, mainly on Saturdays.
- University of Michigan undergraduate students can join the Intercollegiate Racing Team and sail against other schools in regattas all over the country during the school year.
Meet at the club at 10am to pair up with a partner and rig the boat. The first race starts at 11am, and we usually finish up around 2pm. Mixed-fleet (several different classes of boats) no handicap.
In addition to our usual racing, we hold several formal regattas during the sailing season where we keep score and award prizes for the top finishers. The Laser Regattas are open to our members and owners of class legal Lasers. The Dan Rice and Rookie regattas are open to Michigan Sailing Club members only. The Spring Fling and the Bonechiller regattas are open to all classes of sailboats 18′ or less in length; club membership is not required.
2017 Regatta Calendar
The Dan Rice Memorial Regatta – Sunday May 28
Named in honor of a former long-time club member, this regatta is considered the “club championship”. All classes of sailboats 18′ or less are eligible.
Spring Laser Regatta – Sunday June 11
One design regatta featuring the Laser. Anyone with a class-legal Laser is invited.
The Rookie Regatta – Sunday July 16
New members, sailors new to racing, and less experienced racers are eligible to skipper. More experienced racers are encouraged to crew for the rookies. Racing will be in club JY-15s.
Fall Laser Regatta – Sunday Sept 10
One design regatta featuring the Laser. Anyone with a class-legal Laser is invited, including Radial and 4.7.
The Bone Chiller Regatta – Sunday Oct 29
Mixed-fleet regatta scored by Portsmouth Handicap. All classes of sailboats 18′ or less are eligible.
Note: Dates and times subject to change. Check back for updates as the date(s) get closer.